Sunday, November 7, 2010

Inner Peace

There are books written, seminars given, courses taught and even religions devoted to the discovery of inner peace, qi, or serenity now. I have found throughout my life that a piece of music written in the late 17th century provides for me direct access to my own inner peace. No matter where I am, no matter what is happening, no matter the mood I am in, nor the circumstances of how I got there can keep me from the inner peace, the centering balance provided by Pachelbel's Canon (also known as Canon in D).
The rendition here embedded is an acoustical guitar version performed by artist Andrei Krylov and published on "Classical Guitar Music for Romantic Wedding Ceremony".
As a piece of music a canon is a contrapuntal piece in which each successively entering voice presents the initial theme usually transformed in a strictly consistent way. (Merriam/Webster Dictionary). As it revolves and each "entering voice" presents the melody to me I am transported to my sanctuary where I find my inner peace.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed Canon in D before, but usually with the main instrument a cello. But this was new and very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete